Monday, May 23, 2016

Making a Mat Part 2

So today I knocked the flock off the mat.  I decided I should really spray down the mat with Dollar store Extra Hold hair spray.  It's a fairly common cheap way of keeping the grass on a large scenic base or, in this case, mat.  The down side is that 2 hours after spraying the entire thing down, my basement still smells of hairspray...

Anyway, so here are the picks taken after I banged off the flock and sprayed it down with cheap hairspray.



Close up of a denser area of Grass

Close up of a Sparser area of Grass


 Then I set up a bit of a table for Napoleonics, to see how it looks. I think it turned out pretty well. here are some pics.





I'm satisfied with out it turned out.

 Someone on commenting yesterday's post mentioned ironing the cloth before hand. I wish I had thought of that before  beginning, as either are 1 or 2 places where the sheet was folded  that are visible.

In the future if I make another one, I think I'll stay away from the drop cloths. they have thick seams tunning down the middle where they joined 2 pieces.  these were a bit hard to hide.  I figure that if I time it right I can get a piece of 5 foot wide canvas (or similar material) that has no seams and requires no ironing for maybe $10-ish  more.

so that is one more project out of the way. I look forward to getting a few guys over for a game!






5 comments:

  1. Nice, does the hairspray remain tacky indefinitely or does it dry well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once the hair spray dries there is no tackiness. takes about 5 minutes, though i left it for an hour to be safe.

      Delete
  2. The final result is really impressive! Thanks for sharing!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete